Chicken Stew with Bacon Up®
- Large pot OR Dutch oven - with lid
- Mason jar
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Breasts or Chicken Thighs boneless
- 3 Tbsp Bacon Up® Bacon Grease
- 2 Carrots diced
- 1 Onion diced
- 5 Tbsp Flour divided
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Sage
- 1.5 cups Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1.5 cups Potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup Red Pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Green Beans or Peas
- 1/2 cup Cream or Half and Half
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown chicken in 3 tablespoons of Bacon Up. Season with salt and pepper, remove from pot and set aside.
- Cook onion, carrot and celery in remaining Bacon Up for about 3 minutes or until onion is slightly softened.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour, seasonings and salt & pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, red pepper, white wine, browned chicken and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in green beans and cream. Thicken if desired and simmer an additional 10 minutes, uncovered. (To thicken: In a Mason jar, combine remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup water or broth. Shake very well to ensure there are no lumps and add a little at a time to boiling stew to reach desired consistency.)