Mama Mollie's Red Beans & Rice with Bacon Up®
This family favorite was my mom's recipe! - Monica
- Large saucepan
- Stockpot or Dutch oven
- Wooden spoon
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 Tbsp Bacon Up® Bacon Grease
- 1 12.8 oz package Smoked Andouille Sausage thinly sliced
- 2 medium Sweet Onions diced
- 1 bunch Green Onions diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 2 ribs Celery diced
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 3 15-oz cans Red Beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Black Pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley Leaves chopped
- In a large saucepan with 2 cups of water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat Bacon Up over medium heat. Working in batches, add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned - about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- Add onions, bell pepper, and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, spices, and Cajun seasoning until fragrant - about 1 minute.
- Stir in red beans, chicken stock, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and sausage; season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until reduced - an additional 15 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, mash beans until slightly thickened; if desired, season again with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, topped with rice and garnished with parsely, if desired.